- We believe in God, the Creator. [Genesis 1] The same God is Infinite Intelligence. Philosophers seek Absolute Truth. Infinite Intelligence and Absolute Truth are one in the same. Because God is infinite, he is omnipresent, meaning everywhere at once. New Sunflower Church has changed this principle slightly from most Spiritualist Churches. This is to make it clear that we believe in God. We mean no disrespect by this. The term Infinite Intelligence is a term of reverence and respect for God.
- Everything is the expression of God. This principle flows from the first principle. God created everything, so it must be an expression of Him. Because He created everything, He is omnipotent meaning everything is completely under his control. We are all children of God as a result of His creation and Power.
- We strive for an understanding of God. That is to say, we are searching for the Truth. One way we do that is by coming to earth and living this life. Being in human form on earth is one of the fastest ways to perfect our souls. Living in accordance with nature is a form of worship for God. For He created it, we respect him by respecting his creation.
- We are created in the image of God. John 4:24 says that God is Spirit. Thus, we are also spirit. When we die, there is a change where we leave the human body. When this change happens, we won’t be alone as our past loved ones will be there. This is not so different from the belief in going to heaven or hell after death. Our souls live on either way.
- Building on the fourth principle, we are a spirit in a human body. Since we are spirit, we can communicate with spirits on the other side. 1 John 4:1 does warn that some spirits may try to bring us down. In light of this warning, we use Spiritual Protection. This communication can include seeing, hearing, or vivid dreams of the dead. Spiritualism is also a science. Spiritualism has had experiments to prove communication with the so-called dead.
- The Golden Rule is a well known rule found in many cultures and belief systems throughout the world. This alone gives it huge merit. It’s almost as if God strategically placed it in key people and cultures all around the world. I love it when you can just stand back and admire God’s work. This principle also refers to Karma in that you, “Reap what you sow.” Treating people how you believe people should be treated leads the way to harmony, warmth, and joy.
- An awakened person seeks righteousness. To be righteous is to be closer to God. However, you are responsible for your own spiritual growth. One responsibility is in the sixth principle. Treating others with love brings more love into our lives as well. This is also evident in the seventh principle. Whatever we put out into the universe, it comes back to us. I use a programming metaphor because it is my background in this lifetime. “Garbage In, Garbage Out.” The reason for this is on earth we progress toward this righteousness faster than in spirit form. While we are on this earth we must respect nature. As mentioned throughout Genesis, God put us in charge as stewards of his creation. To take care of his creation is to be closer to God.
- Spiritualists immediately discard the idea of eternal damnation, hellfire, and brimstone. Hell is instead a darkness. If you live your life atheistic and do not believe in God, when you die you will be in darkness. God is light and our souls strive to be in the Light of the Lord. Hell is more like being a lost soul in darkness. That is also a pretty horrible fate. There is immediate hope though. God forgives us as soon as we ask for forgiveness in this life and even in that darkness afterward. We are the children of God and His grace abounds. Even though God has forgiven us, that does not mean that our deeds go unpunished. As stated in the sixth principle, your thoughts, words, and actions come back to you.
- Spiritualist beliefs are not new beliefs. They can are in the Bible and other sacred texts. By extension, if these beliefs are in the Bible and other texts, these beliefs are not unique. There are many spiritually valuable things in the Bible. Spiritualism is a nice complement to give us the understanding of King Solomon. [1 Kings 3]. Spiritualism is a continuation of your current faith. Perhaps even a graduation to the next level, closer to God.
Declaration of Principles
- We believe in an omnipresent God who is infinitely intelligent and is a part of us through the Holy Spirit. [Acts 17:27, Matthew 26:42]
- We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of God and the Holy Spirit. [Colossians 1:16, Revelation 4:11, Jeremiah 10:13, John 1:3, Acts 17:28]
- We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitute true religion. [2 Peter 3:10-13, Proverbs 8:22-31, Romans:1:18-27, Psalm 115:16, John 4:24,
Matthew 22:37-38, Acts 10:9-16]
- We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death. [1 John 4:1, 1 Corinthians 15:54, John 5:24, 2 Corinthians 5:8, John 16:22]
- We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism. [1 Samuel 28:11-15, John 14:26, John 16:13]
- We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” [Matthew 7:12, Luke 6:31]
- We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals, and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature’s physical and spiritual laws. [Galatians 5:14]
- We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed against any soul here or hereafter. [Matthew 7:11, 2 Peter 1:5, John 8:32]
- We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing, contained in the Bible and other sacred texts, are Divine attributes proven through Mediumship.
Children’s Declaration of Principles
- We believe in God.
- We believe that God is expressed through all Nature.
- True religion is living in obedience to Nature’s Laws.
- We never die.
- Spiritualism proves that we can talk with people in the Spirit World.
- Be kind, do good, and others will do likewise.
- We bring unhappiness to ourselves by the errors we make and we will be happy if we obey the
laws of life.
- Everyday is a new beginning.
- Prophecy and healing are expressions of God.
Principles 1-6 adopted in Chicago, Illinois, 1899
Principles 7-8 adopted in Rochester, New York, 1909
Principle 9 adopted in St. Louis, Missouri, 1944
Principle 9 revised in Oklahoma City, 1983
Principle 9 revised in Westfield, New Jersey, 1998
Principle 8 revised in Rochester, New York, 2001
Principle 6 revised in Ronkonkoma, New York, 2004
Principle 1-2,9 revised in Indianapolis, Indiana, 2012